Thursday, March 8, 2012

Traveling at the speed of tumbling barbeque grills!

If the RV is rocking...we must be in south Texas!
[I wrote this several years ago. Well, I'm back in south Texas and the wind is the same. So I thought I would share this again--for your amusement! The only reason the wind hasn't blown my barbecue pit over this trip is that I don't have one! But, I think I see my neighbor's pit rolling down the street. Excuse me while I try to catch a pork chop!]
The wind here is always blowing. (I guess it would be or they wouldn't call it 'wind'!)  There are days when it's too windy.
"Wanna go for a bike ride?"
"Naw, it's too windy"
"Wanna go play golf?"
"Naw, it's too windy."
But yesterday was something else. Yesterday, the neighbor told me it was too windy for her to take the dog for a walk! It seems they didn't want their 10-pound pooch to become a kite.
Supper at the Italian place down the road was great and we walked out into the still night air, looked up at the moon and came to a screeching halt! "What happened to the wind?" Not a leaf stirred! "Well, it's a beautiful night after all."
When we got back to the RV park, we noticed that the wind had not left.
"Wanna move the coach down to the Italian-place?"
"Naw, it's too windy."
Then we snuggled down for a long-night's nap.
A doctor on a TV health show I had watched earlier in the day said that if you have trouble going to sleep, it might be helpful to put a hammock in your bedroom.  The swinging/rocking motion is just as soothing to adults as it is to babies. So going to sleep was easy---being gently swayed by the wind. Then the swaying turned into rocking and the rocking to buffeted! The "CRASH" at 3 in the morning brought hubby and me to an upright position. I went searching. The bikes? No, they fell about noon. The lawn chairs? No, they were still tucked away from 2 days ago. Then I saw it--the tumbling barbecue grill!
(Please note that I am NOT outside--just investigating from the safety (?) of the coach--looking out the windows.)
Hubby likes to cook outside and so he bought a grill that is about 2 feet by 1 foot--about 30 pounds of stainless steel--that sits on 6-inch legs on the folding table that we carry just for that purpose. A couple of days ago, after fighting the breeze all morning, he gave up.  "Can't cook outside. The wind keeps blowing out the fire."
But THIS was a first for us.  The wind was so strong it had blown the grill off of the table--mystery solved.
"Wanna go back to bed?"
"Naw, it's too windy."

1 comment: